Episode 44: New Books Added to Collection


Il-wey! Last Thursday, I drove to Los Angeles to listen to Chris Jaymes discuss his new graphic novel, Sons of Chaos, at Book Soup in West Hollywood.  I had plenty of time prior to the event to visit The Iliad Bookshop in North Hollywood.  I happily found some books to add to my collection (see above): 

In the Dark: A Horror Anthology
Rachel Deering, editor/designer
2014, IDW Publishing
I picked up this book because of a comic book story titled “The Body” written by Tim Seeley, art by Stephen Green, color by K. Michael Russell, and lettering by Rachel Deering.  The body in the story was wrapped in linens like a mummy, however in the tale, the origin of the body is unclear.  Was it a witch, a succubus, or a murder victim still wrapped in a body bag that looks like mummy wrappings. My other interest in this book is “Howlett’s Hysterical Horror Comic History: An Opinionated Essay” by Mike Howlett, who wrote The Weird World of Eerie Publications (2011, Feral House).  I have written and presented on horror comics, especially mummies in comics, so this concluding essay will be helpful for my ongoing research. 

Egypt: A View From Above
Christian Jacq (text) and Philip E. Plisson (photography), translated by Nicholas Elliott
2009, Abrams
The photographs are absolutely stunning and portray a side of Egypt usually only seen briefly from an aeroplane window coming and leaving this ancient land.  However, I immediately recognized Christian Jacq, writer of fictional The Ramses Series, and an Egyptologist.  I’m sure I will relish each photo and I am anxious to read Jacq’s perspective and thoughts about Egypt. 

Incidents of Travel in Egypt, Arabia Petraea, and the Holy Land
John Lloyd Stephens, edited and with an introduction by Victor Wolfgang von Hagen
1970, University of Oklahoma Press
Originally published in 1837, the American lawyer Stephens traveled up the Nile in 1836, visiting the many temples along the way.  Stephens created an alter ego, an Egyptian merchant, so he could travel to Petra.  I collect 19thcentury travelogues in part because I’m interested in making comparisons between the observations of early travelers to my own Egyptian experience in the early 1980s.  I am always surprised by the fact that the experiences are similar even though well over 100 years separates our respective journeys. 

Dark Things
August Derleth, editor
1971, Arkham House
I collect Arkham House books and in thumbing through the table of contents, I was excited to find a Lin Carter short story, “The Dweller in the Tomb.”   Carter wrote this story the same year this book was published and is the first in a series of short stories making up the Xothic legend cycle, that Carter based on H. P. Lovecraft’s Cthulhu mythos. This story and the rest of the series was published in The Xothic Legend Cycle: The Complete Mythos Fiction of Lin Carter by Chaosium in 1997. 

Egyptian Household Animals
Rosalind and Jack Janssen
1989, Shire Publications
I previously picked up Rosalind Hall’s Egyptian Textiles, also from Shire Publications. These are informative overviews with accompanying illustrations as well as a list of additional readings and museums to visit (not sure how relevant that is).  I’m looking forward to what the authors have to say about cats. 

Senebti! 


Image by author and featuring my feline, Algernon. 

Comments

Popular Posts