Episode 42: Mummies at San Diego Comic Con International



Il-wey! I attended the 50th anniversary of San Diego Comic Con International (SDCC) a week ago.  At every event I attend, I look for mummy related items.  This year, I found a variety of items in a number of mediums and while the majority of items are Egyptian-inspired, I did find a manga mummy.   Below, I have listed an item-by-item rundown on what I bought at SDCC.  I have included links to each artist/vendor, so if you see something you cannot live without, you can navigate to the website and purchase your own.

Scarab Beetle Illustration – Ashleigh Popplewell
Ashleigh Popplewell has been a panelist on my sketch card panels at Wondercon and at SDCC. I believe it was at Wondercon earlier this spring that Ashleigh had a line of beetle illustrations at her booth. I was looking for a scarab beetle, so I asked her if she would have time to complete a commission.  I was thrilled that she was and we agreed that I would pick up the finished illustration at SDCC.  “Wow!” was my first response when she revealed the commission.  Not only did the beetle look absolutely awesome but she added the block of gorgeous blue with delicate gold dots that gave the beetle illustration a polished finish.  I love it and cannot wait to get it framed and hanging on my wall. 







I love the whimsical cryptology subject matter of Shing Yin Khor’s art. I purchased a couple of postcards from her last year, so I picked up two of her books and a pin set this year. She had several pin sets displayed on preview night and I should not have waited until Sunday because most of her pins were already gone.  The color combination on the beetle looked Egyptian inspired so I thought I would go ahead and showcase it with my other items. 




Han Cholo created a wonderful homage to the Universal monsters with the Monster Squad pin.  Officially licensed, this pin was a SDCC 2019 exclusive.  Joining Karloff’s mummy are (l-r): the creature from the Black Lagoon, Frankenstein, Dracula, Imhotep, and the wolfman.  It’s a larger pin at 2.5 inch in length and has two rubber clutches on the back.  It also glows in the dark! 







Shigeru Mizuki’s Kitaro: The Birth of Kitaro – Drawn & Quarterly
Inspired by the yokai mythology of ghosts and monsters, Shigeru Mizuki wrote his supernatural Kitaro stories in 1960s Japan.  The mummy featured on the cover is Medama Oyaji, Kitaro’s father and a yokai.  Quickly shedding his wrappings, Medama Oyaji’s eyeball remains steadfast on his son’s shoulder through the seven stories contained in this manga.  Translated by Zack Davisson, this is the first time that the Mizuki’s stories have appeared in English.  The stories were entertaining and provided insight into the supernatural Japanese tales. 




Creature Comforts – Chet Phillips
Although there is a coloring book version, I decided I could not pass up the fully illustrated color version of Creature Comforts.   This slim volume features 20 different creatures of legend with their favorite snack, because as Phillips states in his introduction, every monster has “a basic need for culinary enjoyment which resides at the core of their being.”  Amongst Yeti’s spaghetti, Cthulhu’s calamari, and Kaiju’s honeydew is the mummy. Framed by sand-colored columns, the bright blue-eyed mummy gazes longingly at a gummy bear.  Phillips includes colorful lotus flowers and the soft imprinted lotus pattern in the background are lovely nods to the ancient civilization. 





Egyptian Postcards – Oktopolis: The Art of Brian Miller
Part of the “Exotic Travel Poster” series, I found two of three images. The two I found spotlight the Ancient Ruins of Al Baleed and Ancient Wonders of Egypt.  The one I’m missing is Fizayah Beach.  The cards are 5 x 7 and if I recall correctly, were five for $20. I am drawn to clean design lines and a basic color palette, sa well as being wonderful nods to the old travel posters. I think if I had been aware that Brian Miller had poster versions, I might have picked up those instead.  He does have the posters available for purchase at his website for $19.99 each. 


The Mummy Lunchbox and Vintage Traveler’s Poster – Factory Entertainment
I passed the Factory Entertainment booth a few times throughout the con, but always there were several people in front of the display cases. Sunday morning as I walking the exhibition floor, I passed their booth again.  This time, there was only one or two people looking through the cases, so I was able to browse the vendor’s stock.  I immediately spotted the lunchbox and a reproduction of Karloff’s scarab ring ($250, I think).  I took a merchandise advertisement and got into the short line.  While waiting, I saw that the vendor also had a mummy poster. The image was too small for me to really get an idea if it was worthwhile.  When I got up the cashier, I asked about seeing it, but the posters were boxed up.  I decided I would get it and the lunchbox.  It did not come with a thermos, but the detailing around the sides and the warning on the bottom of the box was an added bonus I discovered later when taking photos for this post.













Yummy Mummy Patch – Retro-a-go-go!
I don’t remember General Mills Yummy Mummy cereal, so I found Fright Rags’ blog entry titled “The Evolution of the General Mills Monster Cereals” which explained that the mummy-inspired cereal debut in 1987.  The cereal included “fruit-flavored cereal and vanilla-flavored marshmallows.” The cereal was discontinued in 1992, but made a return in 2013 with orange-cream flavored cereal and regular marshmallows. Sadly, the cereal only lasted for about a year. 


Weegyptians – CovenTree Olde World Market
Last year, I bought an Osiris figurine from Coven Tree Olde World Market, but I failed to pick up a business card so I was not able to purchase any more statues.  As I was walking around the vendor area, I was delighted to find the proprietor again. Although I did not buy any this time – it was Sunday and I did not want to have to carry the statue around all day – the merchant gave me their product cards and pointed out that I could reach them via their Facebook page and order that way.  Osiris was $15 and decently made/painted.  




Senebti! 


All images by author; image of Factory Entertainment’s vintage poster from Amazon. 

Comments

Popular Posts