Episode 2: Three Times Tutankhamum



Ii-Wey! I have the rare distinction in which my path has crossed with Pharaoh Tutankhamun three times in my life. As mentioned in my introduction last week, my father and I saw the 1970s “Treasures of Tutankhamun” at the de Young Museum in San Francisco (reporter Peter Hartlaub wrote an engaging piece for SF Gate regarding the 1979 exhibition). After a handful of years looking at the photographs in Ancient Egypt (Great Ages of Man series from Time Life Books), to finally look into the eyes of the boy king’s funerary mask was paradoxically a solemn and awe-inspiring moment for me. It was the first time I experienced the euphoria from coming face to face with a tangible artifact from history that had meaning for me. Fortunately, it was the not last time I would have that feeling. And, little did I know at the time, that our paths would cross again. 
My second encounter with the boy king was in his country – the Museum of Cairo (although not its official name, I always refer to it as Cairo Museum) some four short years later. Located in the Tahrir Square and appropriately situated near the Nile River, the two-story brick building houses one of the largest collections of Egyptian artifacts, around 120,000, tracing their long history through the various Pharaonic Kingdoms and beyond. Regrettably, I don’t remember individual exhibits as much as feeling overwhelmed by the volume of items and the history they represented. In hindsight, I wish I had a better grasp on the progression and nuances of Egypt’s history; I would have gotten more out of the experience. The museum visit was just one of many sights that also included the pyramid plateau and going into the Great Pyramid, Papyrus Institute, Deir el-Bahari, Karnak Temple Complex, and Tutankhamun’s tomb (and others) in the Valley of the Kings. 
The new “King Tut: Treasures of the Golden Pharaoh” tour touts a “once in a lifetime” opportunity to see 150 items. I am indeed lucky to have the honor of meeting Tutankhamun trice in my life! My third time was yesterday at the California Science Center in Los Angeles. As part of the first group of the day, we stood in a small circular theatre with a concave screen in front of us. After a short introduction to Tutankhamun and Howard Carter, the doors with the seals of the boy king open to reveal a display case of stunning Calcite vases and an unusual bronze torch holder in the shape of an ankh with outstretched hands. It was one of the many artifacts that was identified as its first time out of Egypt. From there, attendees were provided with insights into Tutankhamun’s life via his tomb artifacts: his throne chair and footrest, his bed, various chests made from exotic woods, jewelry, and statues. While the text at each display case provided an overview of each item, the audio tour ($6 extra) gave additional depth to several artifacts and their attachment to Tutankhamun’s eternal journey. 
The logistics of the exhibit were well planned, for the most part. The displays were well spaced so each attendee could rotate to the front of the cases to take photographs (no flash photography was allowed). The audio portion was worth the extra money, however the text accompanying each case was informative and would have conveyed adequate information. The inclusion of passages from The Book of the Dead was both melodic and magical. The center set up the bulk of the exhibit on the third floor, then attendees had return to the first floor to see the last portion of the exhibit. Additionally, for those with the audio tour, the audio equipment had to be returned at the end of the tour on the third floor and then once on the first floor, audio equipment was handed back out. Since the first floor area was so small, the audio component could have been left off. I was sadden to notice that certain pieces were not included in this tour, such as Tutankhamun’s golden mask, alabaster canopic jars, the full size Senet board and playing pieces, the leopard broach, among other items. 
A journey that began over 40 years ago as I sat crossed-legged with Ancient Egypt opened in my lap, has come full circle. In all the years, the magic and allure of Egypt, and Tutankhamun, has not diminished – it just laid dormant for a time. The level of engagement has been renewed, kind of like a friend not seen in many years, but the familiarity is soon felt once more. And the euphoria I get from engaging with historical artifacts is just as impactful as when I was a child. Senebti! 

Comments

Popular Posts